How to Apply
Mount St. Mary’s Seminary
Men interested in applying for formation in the seminary for eventual ordination should first contact the respective offices for their local dioceses. See the Admissions homepage for more information.
School of Theology
To be considered for general admission to the School of Theology, applicants must submit each of the following:
- the School of Theology Application
- $30 Application Fee
- two letters of recommendation
- prior college transcripts, if any
- applicants without a bachelor’s degree and a 3.0 GPA are typically not eligible for admission to School of Theology graduate programs; however, the Certificate in Catholic Theology and the Certificate in Pastoral Ministry minimally require a high school diploma or GED
Lay Ecclesial Formation
Those applying for admission to ministerial programs – the Certificate in Pastoral Ministry, the Graduate Certificate in Pastoral Ministry, or the Master of Arts, Pastoral Ministry (MAPM) – must also complete the following:
- interview with the Director of Lay Ecclesial Formation
- submission of a spiritual autobiography
- submission of the School of Theology Application Supplement for Lay Ecclesial Formation
- recommendation of canonical pastor
- MBTI assessment ($150)
The Dean of the School of Theology will notify the applicant when the completed application has been received.
To be admitted before the start of Fall Semester, applications should be submitted by July 1.
To be admitted before the start of Spring Semester, applications should be submitted by November 1.
The Admissions & Degrees Committee meets to review submitted applications a few times each year. Applicants will be notified of admissions decisions after the Admissions & Degrees Committee reviews and votes on each application.
Newly admitted students (both Fall and Spring) will be invited to attend the School of Theology Orientation which takes place on campus each August.