New Immaculate Conception Statue From Same Quarry as Michelangelo’s Pietà09.04.20
Mount St. Mary’s Seminary & School of Theology (MTSM) recently installed a new statue of the Blessed Mother under the title of the Immaculate Conception, the Patroness of the Seminary, on campus. The Most Reverend Dennis M. Schnurr, Archbishop of Cincinnati, blessed the statue on September 3, the Feast of St. Gregory the Great.
The statue is of White Carrara marble, the same as used by Michelangelo to carve the Pietà. The base of the statue, the column, and the statue together weigh approximately 1,600 pounds and took a little more than eight months to create and five days to install. The statue itself is approximately 3.5 ft. tall and was placed on a 10 ft. marble column that overlooks the newly renovated Marian Courtyard. The statue and column were made possible through a generous donor.
The original Immaculate Conception statue had deteriorated due to years of weathering. The Very Reverend Anthony Brausch, Ph.D., President & Rector at MTSM collaborated with Liturgical Consultant, Rolf Rohn with Rolf Rohn & Associates to create an image of Our Lady that harmonized well with the overall design of the courtyard.
“Our goal was to create a space very much like a European piazza or square, a space that easily lends itself to hosting events and socializing as well as study and reflection.” said Fr. Brausch. “Having the statue of Our Lady present in the midst of all of this creates just the right atmosphere and focus.”
MTSM is the Archdiocese of Cincinnati’s graduate-level Catholic Seminary and School of Theology with nearly 200 full and part-time students. Founded in 1829, our 75-acre campus provides preparation for ordination to the priesthood and permanent diaconate as part of Mount St. Mary’s Seminary. In addition, our School of Theology offers classes for graduate, non-degree and certification programs for laity, clergy, and religious.
For additional information about MTSM, please contact email@example.com or 513-231-2223.