Certificate in Pastoral Ministry
This certificate includes basic theology courses along with spiritual, ministerial and personal formation designed to integrate theology and practice. It also fulfills the prerequisites for men applying to the permanent diaconate.
This certificate provides a basic introduction to the academic subjects of Scripture, Church History, Ethics, Prayer, Christology, and Doctrine, and to the pastoral skills of listening, theological reflection, collaboration, and continuing formation. It also provides basic tools to discern and respond to the call of the Holy Spirit to live as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Mount St. Mary’s Seminary & School of Theology does not grant undergraduate credit; however, Chatfield College, a Catholic college with multiple campuses in Cincinnati, will offer up to 24 hours of undergraduate credit for the completed Certificate in Pastoral Ministry. Other area institutions may also grant undergraduate credit on a case by case basis.
Prospective students should possess either a high school diploma or GED. Applicants must submit the School of Theology Application, the $30 application fee, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts from any prior college course work. An interview with the Director of Lay Ecclesial Formation is also required.
The Certificate in Pastoral Ministry requires 13 courses, mentoring, supervised Field Education, Theological Reflection, and a Project in Ministry. The program can be completed in two years.
Course of Study: 22 credit hours
- B 101 Introduction to the Old Testament (2 credits)
- B 201 Introduction to the New Testament (2 credits)
- H 370 Church History (2 credits)
- LPC 132 Morality and Justice in Catholic Life (3 credits)
- P 401 Using Scripture in Parish Ministry (1 credit)
- P 402 Liturgy/Prayer (2 credits)
- P 415 Formation for Discipleship (2 credits)
- P 441 Pastoral Communication (1 credit)
- P 442 Evangelization and Social Media (1 credit)
- S 300 Catechism of the Catholic Church (1 credit)
- S 341 Basic Doctrine (2 credits)
- S 360 Christology (2 credits)
- S 411 Ecclesiology (1 credit)
- LPF 400 Field Education
- LPM 401, 402, 403, and 404 Certificate Mentor 1, 2, 3, and 4
- LPP 400 Project in Ministry