Graduate Certificate in Pastoral Ministry
The Graduate Certificate includes core theology courses along with spiritual, ministerial and personal formation that integrate theology and practice. It is an excellent option for those who want to engage in theological and pastoral studies at the graduate level, but who may not want or need to complete a full M.A. degree. This program also fulfills the prerequisites for men applying to the permanent diaconate.
The Graduate Certificate includes 20 credits of graduate course work, mentoring, supervised Field Education, Theological Reflection, and a Project in Ministry. Students may complete the Graduate Certificate in two years. Graduate Certificates can also be applied toward the completion of a Master of Arts degree program in the School of Theology.
Prospective students should possess either a high school diploma or GED. Applicants must submit the School of Theology Application, the $30 application fee, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts from any prior college course work. An interview with the Director of Lay Ecclesial Formation is also required.
The Graduate Certificate in Pastoral Ministry requires 20 credit hours of course work (detailed below), mentoring, supervised Field Education, Theological Reflection, and a Project in Ministry. The program can be completed in two years.
Course of Study: 20 credit hours
- Biblical Studies: 4 credit hours
- B 501 Old Testament (2 credits)
- B 601 New Testament (2 credits)
- Church History: 2 credit hours
- H 570 Church History (2 credits)
- Moral Theology: 4 credit hours
- MT 5000 Fundamental Moral Theology (2 credits)
- MT 6000 Catholic Social Doctrine (2 credits)
- Systematic Theology: 6 credit hours
- S 5600 Christology (2 credits)
- S 6110 Ecclesiology (2 credits)
- LS 6120 Sacramental Theology (2 credits)
- Pastoral and Professional Studies: 2 credit hours
- P 741 The Art of Effective Communication (1 credit)
- P 742 Using Scripture in Parish Ministry (1 credit)
- Elective: 1 credit hour (choose one)
- MT 650 Contemporary Issues in Moral Theology (1 credit)
- P 716 RCIA and Sacramental Preparation (1 credit)
- S 613 Ecclesiology of the Domestic Church (1 credit)
- S 615 Evangelization and Mission for Pastoral Ministers (1 credit)
- LPA 400 Theological Foundations of Apostolic Service (1 credit hour)
- LPF 400 Field Education (100 hours)
- LPM 501-504 Graduate Mentor 1-6 (40 hours total)
- LPP 400 Project in Ministry