For admittance to the Master of Arts in Pastoral Ministry program or the Graduate Certificate, applicants must have a 4 year undergraduate degree and some experience of service in parish, school or community agency.
For admittance to the non-degreed Certificate, applicants must have a minimum of a High School diploma or a G.E.D. and some experience of service in parish, school or community agency.
Who makes a good lay student
Below are some qualities and values that we look for in potential students:
- Participate regularly in the sacraments and life of the Church
- Engage in daily prayer
- Have a love for God and God’s people
- Desire to serve and have some experience in service
- Have emotional maturity and relative stability in work and personal life
- Have the capacity for growth
- Have the ability to study theology (at a graduate level for MAPM and Graduate Certificate and at an undergraduate level for non-degreed Certificate)
- Are committed to collaboration with priests, permanent deacons and other lay men and women
- Have the time and energy for the classes and formation components
- Are at least 25 years of age (exceptions to the age minimum may be made for persons engaged in staff level ministry or who have an undergraduate degree in pastoral ministry or theology)
Application process beings with:
An interview with one of the School of Theology Directors
Upon successful interview the application process can be initiated.
The application process consists of these steps
Initial interview and application form
Brief spiritual autobiography
References (including canonical pastor)
Personality profiling and feedback
Application Fee: $30
MBTI Profiling Fee: $150
Attendance at Orientation to Theological Studies in August
The School of Theology Admissions and Degrees Committee reviews the application when complete.
The applying candidate will be notified of admission.
Students wishing to begin classes in the fall semester should complete the application process by July 1.
Students wishing to begin classes in January should complete the application process by November 1.
To ask questions about the application process, call